Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 4

Day four, what a day! The boys were supposed to get an early start today and have a good hard ride. Well, so much for plans! Lindsay (my sister-in-law) and I had decided to take the kids to my grandparents house. My grandparents live about 20 minutes away on a farm in Coffman. While we were there I got a phone call on my grandparents phone from my other grandma saying that Dustin's bike was broken and they needed some help. Apparently Tim and Dustin had been trying to call us, but there's no cell phone service in Coffman so they couldn't reach us. Lindsay tried calling Dustin's cell but it went straight to voice mail...which we have learned that on this trip that means they don't have service. So, she left him a message telling him where we were and to call us on the land line. Dustin finally called and told us that he had broken a spoke on his bike. The crazy thing is that this had happened to him right before he left on this trip and he had it "fixed." The boys had two choices, 1. have someone come and pick them up and end the trip or 2. have someone bring them a new bike. (my dad's bike) Lindsay and I felt sorry for them and we didn't want them to have to end their trip so we decided that we could drive to Summersville and bring him a new bike. So, I called my dad, who just happened to be in for lunch, to ask about using his bike. Then I called my mom and she was just leaving work to come home which was perfect because we needed someone to watch the 3 girls. Lindsay and I quickly found a good route to drive and loaded up my dad's bike on the truck and took off. 2 1/2 hours later we were in Summersville delivering a new bike to Dustin. They guys were very happy to see us...since they had been sitting in a gas station for the past 7 hours!!! They took off and made it to Houston, MO. around 8:30 p.m. Tomorrow their goal is to get to Marshfield, MO.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I thought I would give this blog thing a try. My plan is to use it as an online scrapbook for my family.