Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Running a race to learn a lesson

Never in my right mind would I think that I trained for a race for 9+ weeks so that God could teach me a very important lesson.  But, He did...

I'm not even sure where to start explaining myself.  I guess I'll go back the the beginning of the 3rd mile.  I had this feeling that I just didn't want to run the race anymore...I wanted to be done right then and there.  Tim could sense it I'm sure because he really started talking to me and trying to push me.  I actually remember thinking that I wanted to stop.  I didn't stop, but I didn't push through the uncomfortableness of the running.  I remember the finish line being in sight...down the hill, around the corner, and UP through the finishing gate.  I usually have some type of finishing push left in me, but I just went into coast mode and finished the race.
A few hours later we were on the way home and it hit me!  I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER!  Now, I'm not saying that I could have shaved minutes off my time, but I could have pushed harder and gotten through that uncomfortable stage I was in.  I realized that I often opt out of so many things in life when they get hard or uncomfortable, instead of pushing through.  Tim reminded me that our bodies can do so much more than what we think...I was totally in that situation.  I could have pushed harder and I would have felt like I had given it my all. 
After discussing this with Tim, and after shedding many tears, I realized that I had trained for about 2 months to learn this very important lesson.  It wasn't about running, it was about not giving up when I felt uncomfortable or stretched.  It's a lesson that I hope to teach my girls one day when they're old enough to understand. 
Thank you Lord for teaching me about perseverance...even if it did come after running many miles.

I am so thankful for Tim and the way he helped me run this race.  He talked to me the whole time...encouraging me as I went up a hill or reminding me to slow down my breathing.  My dad ran behind us the whole way and said he could hear Tim encouraging me.  My dad also said that it was definitely a one-sided conversation.  (I wasn't doing any talking.)  I would listen to what Tim was saying and try my hardest to do it.  Tim said there was a time when he was reminding me to control my breathing that he thought I was going to yell, "I AM BREATHING!"  But that didn't happen.  I kept thinking to myself, I've done a lot harder things than this...I've given birth to two children...I can do this!  : )   
The kiddos before the race.  Cayman in the blue stroller, Sophia in the pink hat, and Ellen and Kate in the double stroller.  Zach had two kids in a double stroller and Brynley walking.  We were well supported!  Thanks to Teresa and Jerry for coming to watch too!

Courtney, Erin, and I after the race.

Lindsay (& baby) and Dustin coming across the finish line!

The 4 original runners! 

The very cold Garber Gang!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I thought I would give this blog thing a try. My plan is to use it as an online scrapbook for my family.