Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bike Trip 2010- Day 1

I have pictures from my camera, but I'm having a hard time getting them on the computer.  Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Well, the 2010 trip is off and...biking!  It started early this morning around 5:30 when we got up and loaded the stuff in/on the car.  My friend Courtney (Brandon's wife) and I were "selected" to accompany the boys to their starting location and then drive the car back to Desloge. Lindsay volunteered to watch the girls while we were gone.  Thanks Lindsay, you're the best!  We were on the road by 7:15ish and arrived in Galconda, Ill. around 10:30.  This year Tim is biking with my brother Dustin, cousin Brandon, and friend Kenny.  They have chosen to bike across the lower part of Illinois in 3 days.  I'm so glad that they have the opportunity to make such great memories together.  Maybe one of these days they'll actually make it all the way across the USA!  Wouldn't that just be awesome?  Sure, I'd miss Tim for the month and a half that he'd be gone, but what an amazing adventure that would be. 

I got a call from Tim tonight and the first words out of his mouth were, "the weather is BEAUTIFUL!"  This is in comparison to last year when it was 100+ degrees.  YIKES!  This year they were more concerned with getting cold at night rather than sweating to death during the day.  They rode for a while, took a break, rode some more and then stopped for lunch.  Tim said they stopped for dinner at Delaney's (sp?) Diner in Goreville, Ill.  Apparently they got "short-cut" directions to a campground near by from a local.  The road they were directed to go on was a little busier than what they had been used to.  Let's just say the semi-truck drivers weren't too eager to share the road.  Tim and Kenny had to get off the road at one point!  They made it to the campground at Little Grassy Lake and set up a tent for the night. 
Today they road a total of 55 miles.  Tomorrow, the plan is to ride to Chester, Ill.

Until then...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I thought I would give this blog thing a try. My plan is to use it as an online scrapbook for my family.